Monday, October 16, 2017

Week 1 Reading & Movies: Frankenstein, Edward scissorhands, The Woman in Black

THE GOTHIC


Ah, the Gothic. One of the most fundamental, if not THE most fundamental form of story there is. For this week, I tried to read Frankenstein but I didn’t get very far. I did watch Edward Scissorhands and The Woman in Black though. While I really enjoyed both. I thought Edward Scissorhands was incredibly unique and cute. Not really horror per-say, but definitely a gothic. Honestly, I think it’s more cute than anything. Cute/spooky fairytale gothics are Tim Burton’s trademarks. His movies are very character and environment driven and Scissorhands is definitely that. The Woman in black, however, is more of a classic horror movie. Actually, it’s about as classic a horror film can get in theme, set up, location, and even the events that take place. I enjoyed both very much but in different ways. Both were beautiful, but I feel that there wasn’t much unique about The Woman in Black.


k.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: Future Tense

FUTURE TENSE Honestly, i’m both hopeful and worried about the future. Technologically, i’m sure we’ll reach new hights. By the time that...